Worm ID???

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by frankinswine1, Jun 16, 2017.

  1. frankinswine1

    frankinswine1 RRMAS Supporter

    I noticed this crop circle looking thing on my back glass recently and I'm just curious as to what it is. I've attempted searching the internet, but everything I search comes back with tube worms. I have tube worms and know how they normally look this doesn't appear to be a tube worm. The only way I can describe it is a crop circle. It has a nice tight spiral with a wave like pattern. It's roughly the size of a quarter or a half dollar.
    I've never seen this before, but it actually looks kinda cool. Just curious if anyone know what this could be and its something I need to scrape off and siphon out.

    This image shows the squiggle pattern the best. Top middle on the glass.

    This show the circle pattern overall.
    NatalieMadison likes this.
  2. whippetguy

    whippetguy Super Moderator

    looks like snail eggs to me
    LJC6780 and huntindoc like this.
  3. frankinswine1

    frankinswine1 RRMAS Supporter

    That's it! Never seen them before. That's pretty cool
    whippetguy likes this.
  4. huntindoc

    huntindoc RRMAS BOD Membership Director Staff Member

    Agree with John. What kind of snails do you have? Nerite snails are fairly productive egg layers.
  5. LJC6780

    LJC6780 RRMAS Supporter

    From my experience, nerites lay trails of single eggs like dotted road stripes or something, lol. I don't remember what snails lay eggs like this.
  6. huntindoc

    huntindoc RRMAS BOD Membership Director Staff Member

    LJC6780 likes this.
  7. frankinswine1

    frankinswine1 RRMAS Supporter

    I know at least one cerith is still around. But just because eggs are laid doesn't mean they'll hatch, right? Still nice to see the lifecycle in action.
    huntindoc likes this.

Share This Page